Pan-Hellenic Council of Palm Beach County
The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is a collaborative organization
of nine historically African American, international Greek lettered
fraternities and sororities. The nine NPHC organizations are sometimes
collectively referred to as the "Divine Nine." The member/partner
organizations have not formally adopted nor recommended the use of this
term to describe their collaborative grouping. The NPHC was formed as a
permanent organization on May 10, 1930 on the campus of Howard
University, in Washington, D.C. NPHC was incorporated under the laws
of the State of Illinois in 1937.
The council promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other
mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative
programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.
Each constituent member organization determines its own strategic
direction and program agenda. Today, the primary purpose and focus of
member organizations remains camaraderie and academic excellence for
its members and service to the communities they serve. Each promotes
community awareness and action through educational, economic, and
cultural service activities.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council was established in an age when racial
segregation and disenfranchisement plagued African Americans, the rise
of each of the black fraternities and sororities that make up the NPHC
bore witness to the fact that despite hardships African Americans
refused to accede to a status of inferiority.
The organization's stated purpose and mission in 1930:
"Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct
of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to
consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations."
The founding members of the NPHC were Omega Psi Phi, Kappa Alpha Psi,
Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, and Zeta Phi Beta. The council's
membership expanded as Alpha Phi Alpha (1931), Phi Beta Sigma (1931),
Sigma Gamma Rho (1937), and Iota Phi Theta (1997) joined this coalition
of Black Greek letter organizations (BGLOs). In his book on BGLOs,
Lawrence Ross coined the phrase "The Divine Nine" when referring to the
In 1992, the first permanent national office for NPHC was established
in Bloomington, Indiana on the campus of Indiana University through the
joint cooperation of Indiana University and the National Board of
Directors of NPHC.
The current national office is located in Decatur, Georgia.
Fri Jun 27 2014 at 15:42:35pm
- for Nouveau Graphic Designs, Inc. © 2014